Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Pineapple upside-down cake

I had never had pineapple upside-down cake until I made this one. You need to be fairly sure that you'll eat something when you're making about 2kgs of it but I figured it had sugar, butter, booze...what's not to like! As it turns out it is delicious, and one I'll certainly be making again. I had no rum when making this so I used whiskey and it was still yum. The Big Guy describes it as being "like an Irishman having a Caribbean orgy in my mouth". It really is that good!


Serves 6-8

Ingredients
(for the topping)
100g butter
100g light muscovado sugar
2tbsp Irish whiskey (or dark rum if you want to be traditional)
432g can pineapple rings, drained
(for the cake)
50g unsweetened desiccated coconut
100g butter, room temperature
200g golden caster sugar
3 eggs
175g plain flour
1tsp baking powder
2tsp vanilla extract
125ml milk

Method
  1. Heat oven to 180C/Gas Mark 4 and butter your baking dish (I used a 9" square tin). 
  2. Melt the butter, sugar and whiskey in a small saucepan until all the sugar has dissolved. 
  3. Place the pineapple in the baking dish and then pour over the syrup to form an even layer and leave aside.
  4. Cook the desiccated coconut in a dry frying pan over a gentle heat until it starts to turn golden. Remove from the heat and combine all the remaining ingredients.
  5. Pour into the cake tin and pop into the oven.
  6. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until golden and well-risen.
  7. Turn out onto a large plate and allow to cool slightly before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment