1 onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 carrot, finely chopped
1 celery stick, finely chopped
Handful of diced streaky bacon
1lb fresh mince beef
1 can chopped tomatoes
2tsp dried oregano
1 glass of red wine
2tbsp tomato puree
Salt and pepper
1lb dried spaghetti (you can get those handy little sizer things for spaghetti, great stuff!)
Freshly grated hard cheese to serve (eg Parmesan)
- Heat a drop of oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat. Add the onion and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add the garlic, carrot, celery and diced bacon to the pan and cook for 3-4 minutes, or until just starting to brown.
- Add the beef and cook over a high heat, or until the mince is cooked through.
- Stir in the tomatoes, oregano and red wine and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat, cover, and simmer for about an hour, stirring occasionally so ensure it doesn't stick to the bottom of the pan.
- Stir in the tomato puree and season to taste with the salt and pepper.
- Bring a large pan of slightly salted water to the boil, add the pasta and cook for 8-10 minutes (until tender but still firm to the bite). Drain throughly.
- Transfer the pasta to your plates, add the bolognese and serve with the cheese (if using) and a big glass of red wine (because you deserve it!).